Thursday 3 February 2011

Shed

Tonights featured shop is Shed.



Shed is a wonderful business running in London by Clare. You can find her shop HERE

Clare first showed me the linen tunics here in France and through her enthusiasm I now appreciate all the work and time that has gone into each piece. All hand made linen and hemp, hand woven and painstakingly hand stitched.  Many of the pieces have tiny mother of pearl buttons.



Clare and I often go to Vide-Greniers together and have an exciting day spotting treasures and working out what some of the older tools and utensils were actually used for. Vide-greniers are our sunday outing. Here in France 99% of shops are closed on sunday, but every village across France will have a Vide-grenier somewhere near every weekend.

Many of Clare's garments are dyed using environmentally friendly dyes and the range of colours she gets is magnificent.  Clare now has an old wood fired boiler which she is renovating and hopes to use for her dye projects and also has succeeded growing Woad. However the processing of woad is not for the faint-hearted, it involves either chemicals or stale urine, many filtering processes and finally lots of whipping air into the mixture.


Homefront news.

I finally got a new dishwasher today after the old one packed it in just before Christmas.  When OH took the old dishwasher apart we found a perfectly formed mouse nest for one on the top, in all the insulation.



I spent the morning with 25 children aged 5-6 at the swimming pool. I confess I am not eager to swim, even in summer, but today I was allocated to watch the side of the water slide (dry land side). The children are in groups of 5 with 1 teacher of adult helper per group.  I think todays most interesting point was appreciating all the differing abilities and confidences, they were all so cute.


My competition is still running, send me a photo and win an antique tunic like THIS.

No comments:

Post a Comment